By Aliyu Dangida
DUTSE—AN 11-year-old school pupil, Shehu Abubakar, has died after eating poisonous cassava, while three other family members are said to be lying critically ill at Duste General Hospital in Jigawa State.
A source said the incident occurred at Kudanci Quarters in Shiwarin Ward of Kiyawa Local Government Area of the state, where the boys reportedly bought the cassava when they were hungry.
It was gathered that the Police, acting on information from neighbours that four boys of the same family were suffering from serious stomach pain as a result of eating cassava, quickly mobilised officers to their residence.
A source said: “On getting the information, without wasting time, policemen rushed them to hospital.”
The source added that Abubakar, a primary school pupil, died immediately on getting to the hospital “and the other three are still alive and getting medical attention.”
The source gave the name of the others as Audu Garba, 13; Adamu Gambo, 10, and Bashir Garba, seven.
Jigawa State Police Command Police Public Relations Officer, SP Audu Jinjiri, confirmed the incident to newsmen.
Jinjiri explained that the Police have commenced investigation to identify where they bought the cassava, urging sellers to differentiate between mature cassava and premature, which is poisonous and dangerous to human lives.