Breaking News
Translate

Fire guts 12 rooms, nine shops in Sapele

By Paul Olayemi

SAPELE—Goods and valuables worth millions of Naira were razed by fire in Amukpe area of Sapele in Sapele Local Government Area of Delta State.

The fire, according to a resident, Mrs AKpevwe Michael, affected 12 rooms at 112, Warri-Sapele Road and about nine shops at 114 on the same street.

Some of the houses were said to be owned by the former Chairman of Sapele Okpe Community, Mr. Moses Ogodo.

A woman, Mrs Anita, who claimed her shop was gutted by the inferno, said when the fire started around 2a.m., Delta State Fire Service was contacted but that “they came late.

“By the time they arrived the scene, the damage had been done; a situation that has made us resort to self-help, pouring water to put out the fire,” she added with emotion.

A boutique owner in the area, Mr. Julius, said he lost goods worth N6 million, adding that when the fire broke out, some of the shops were broken into and, in the process of assisting, “some people carted away our goods.”

He added: “In fact, when I got there, the extent of fire was better seen than described. There was nothing I could do. I was helpless because I didn’t have the capability to put the fire out.

“This has got nothing to do with Benin DISCO; this is the work of arsonist. Look, there was no light, because of the load shedding on the transformer; we did not have light yesterday, so where did fire come from? I strongly believe these cult boys are at it again.”

Another victim, simply identified as Mrs Lucky, said the clothes she was putting on was the only thing left with her after the fire incident.

“I lost over N2 million. But it is OK; when there is life, there is hope,” she stated.

 


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.