Breaking News
Translate

$43m Ikoyi cash, N200m PINE fund: EFCC awaits Osinbajo cttee’s report to prosecute Oke, Lawal

By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor

Barely two days after President Muhammadu Buhari sacked the duo of Babachir Lawal and Ayodele Oke from their exalted national positions of Secretary to the Government of the Federation and the Director General of the National Intelligence Agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said yesterday it was set to prosecute them.

Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Babachir Lawal and Suspended Nigeria Intelligent Agency NIA Ayo Oke

A top source in the commission told Vanguard that the commission had already concluded investigation on the $43 million retrieved from a private apartment in Ikoyo and was ready to charge the dismissed NIA boss to court to explain his role in the entire saga.

The source said however that it would, however, await the outcome of the Report of the Presidential Probe panel, which indicted both Oke and Lawal and led to their sack by President Muhammadu Buhari last Monday.

The source said that the commission needed to await the outcome of the panel, which was headed by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, with National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno and Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, as members, so as not to duplicate effort and resources in the matter.

The official said that the commission had gone far with the probe of the Ikoyi cash and was ready to charge Oke to court.

“You will recall that before the Presidency took over the matter by setting up the Osinbajo probe panel, we had seized the huge cash found in the Ikoyi apartment and certain persons had made statements and we are ready to take the suspects to court any moment from now,” the source hinted last night.

“We did not want to go into the investigation of Lawal because at the time, the Senate was handling the matter and following the conclusion of their own finding and adoption of their guilty verdict on Lawal , asking for his sack, the Presidency raised the panel to look into the matter.

“You can be rest assured that now that the panel report has been submitted to the Presidency and the cost is clear for us to take over from there, we get to the roots of the matter and take the necessary actions to make the suspect to face justice,” the official said.

It will be recalled that President Buhari on Monday sacked the two former top officials from their posts and announced the appointment of Mustapha Boss as the SGF but was silent on Oke’s replacement.

The Presidency had come under fierce criticism for not acting promptly to ease out the two men from the government after being caught napping in the course of their official duties in April this year.

The delay in sending them packing led to unrestrained accusation of the administration of protecting members of the party and ‘persecuting’ only members of the opposition.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.