Miss Stella Merkyaa, a student, who suffered multiple injuries from a gas explosion on July 18, died Tuesday morning, Benue health commissioner Cecilia Ojabo, has confirmed.
Merkyaa, a student of the School of Midwifery, Makurdi, suffered the multiple burns when her cooking gas exploded on her in the hostel.
Ojabo, who confirmed the death in a telephone interview with NAN, described the incident as “unfortunate”.
“Stella died in the early hours of Tuesday; it is quite sad,” she said.
The commissioner said that government had supported the deceased “in every possible way ” in her battle to survive the accident.
The deceased moved through four hospitals – Federal Medical Centre, Makurdi, Benue State Teaching Hospital, Makurdi, Jos University Teaching Hospital, and Bingham Teaching Hospital, Masaka, where she died.
A relation of the deceased, Mrs. Torkwase Ajo, told NAN that she died at 4.30 am.
“We did everything possible to help her, but she gave up in the end,” she said.