Breaking News

Melaye refuses to abandon plenary, frustrates INEC’s bid to serve him notice

Kindly Share This Story:

By Henry Umoru

ABUJA—CHAIRMAN, Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Senator Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi West), yesterday, frustrated efforts by legal officials from the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to serve him with a notice of recall.

Dino Melaye

Officials of INEC,  yesterday,  stormed the National Assembly complex with four “Ghana must go” bags to serve Senator Melaye with recall processes, but his office was locked despite his presence at the plenary.

The bags were thereafter, dropped at the door step of his office while the INEC officials moved to the lobby of the White House where the Chambers of the Senate is located, with a view to cornering him to serve him the notice.

But their wait ended in frustration as the senator refused to abandon the plenary to receive the letters from the INEC officials.

It will be recalled that Senator Melaye had  on Monday, during a press conference, claimed that the 90 days period within which to recall him had lapsed, saying that he was not prepared to make himself available to INEC since the process, according to him, was unconstitutional.

But, officials of INEC, in defiance to Melaye’s  objection, came with four “Ghana must go” bags to serve Melaye with the recall notice.

The INEC officials arrived the complex about 11a.m., just as the lawmakers resumed from their two months holiday.

The INEC officials went straight to the office of Melaye but met the door locked, but they had  specific instructions to deliver the notice directly to the lawmaker.

Other officials of INEC laid siege to Senator Melaye at the corridor of Senate wing of the National Assembly to serve him with the recall notice which was unsuccessful.

They then spread themselves in different  locations in and out of the upper legislative chamber in “ambush” for Melaye.

But Senator Melaye stormed out of the Chamber at 1.48p.m., and went straight to his waiting car in front of the entrance to the lobby of the Senate,  alongside his other vehicles and drove off immediately without talking to the INEC officials and Journalists.

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!