Breaking News

Passengers escape death as fire guts LAGBUS bus

…It was due to electrical fault—Fire Service

By Monsuru Olowoopejo

LAGOS—Scores of passengers, yesterday, escaped death when a bus belonging to LAGBUS Asset Management, went up in flames in an accident that occurred at the Otedola Bridge, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos.

LAGBUS: Firemen tackling the LAGBUS fire.

It was gathered that the accident occurred at about 2p.m., few minutes after the bus left the Berger end of the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Confirming the incident, Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, said: “We met the fire raging and with our expertise, we were able to put out the fire few minutes after our arrival.

“There was no life lost. And the reason was that the driver had left the road before the fire started.”

The Director noted that preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was due to electrical spark from the vehicle engine, saying efforts by the driver to put off the fire before it escalated proved abortive.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.