By Anthony Ogbonna
President Muhammadu Buhari has, Thursday, welcomed the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby to his base in London.
President Buhari made the welcome known through his twitter handle @Mbuhari.
Recall that President Buhari has been in UK for several weeks now haven gone there for medical vacation.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) March 9, 2017
Recall also that President Buhari have received so many visitors so far, majority of them being from Nigeria. For instance, on the 15th of February 2017, President Buhari received the Senate President, Bukola Saraki along side others who visited him at his London base in UK. Buhari had thanked the visitors as well as Nigerian Christians and Muslims for praying for his quick recovery.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) February 15, 2017
Also, the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, party, Bola Tinubu had equally, reportedly, visited him too. Pictures had emerged to attest to this fact.
Recall also that Buhari had first released the picture of himself on January 22nd 2017 wherein he was watching a Channels TV news programme about the happenings in Nigeria right from his London base.
Wherever I am, I keep up with news from home. Channels TV is one of my favorites. I’m proud of what the Nigerian media are achieving. pic.twitter.com/LciLrzyaxT
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) January 22, 2017
This was after, barely two days of his departure from Nigeria, when rumours arose that he was either dead or critically ill.
The picture and subsequent ones were released to disprove the rumour that the President was either dead or critically ill.
Later, President Buhari who was earlier on billed to return to Nigeria after the initial 10 days working leave he had written the Senate that he would be absent could not return to Nigeria and instead, shifted his return indefinitely while giving reasons of needing longer rest and waiting for more results from the series of tests he underwent.
This development however made Nigerians become even more anxious especially as several comments from Buhari’s aides kept differing from each others’ in some aspects.
For instance, whereas the Special Adviser to Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina had told Nigerians that Buhari is hale and hearty, and that Mr. President was getting better, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed had however said the president was not in any hospital abroad.
As the anxiety mounted on, President Buhari began calling both Nigerians and foreign leaders on phone to prove that he is still alive.
First, he called the U.S President, Donald Trump and had a national discussion with him. In their chat, President Buhari sought the help of the U.S government in tackling insurgency in the country among other issues.
Also, President Buhari later had phone conversations with the king of Morocco and the African Union President.
Then, he began calling other Nigerians, beginning from his media aide, Mr. Adesina, Governor of Kogi state Bello and his co-ex-heads of state, Yakubu Gowon, Olusegun Obasanjo among others.