By Joseph Erunke
ABUJA—THE military said yesterday that it had both the capacity and capability to defeat the dreaded Boko Haram terrorists in the North East, and so would not engage mercenaries to achieve such feat.
In a statement from the Defence Headquarters, DHQ, released by the Acting Director, Defence Information, Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar, the military insisted that it had the ability to clear the remnants of the terrorists from the area without seeking any assistance of mercenaries.
It said the statement was in response to a media report that it was considering the engagement of mercenaries in its prosecution of the war in the North East.
The statement read: “We read with dismay the disturbing newspaper report on Wednesday 9 November claiming that foreign mercenaries would be used to fight Boko Haram.
“This story is not only mischievous and unfounded but also lacks merit and far from the truth.
“The DHQ wishes to state with emphasis that the Nigerian Armed Forces has the capacity and capability to clear the remnants of the terrorists from our land and that is what the military has been doing.
“It is not necessary or logical to go for mercenaries after the battle of Boko Haram insurgent had been won.
“The pocket of attacks witnessed in the last few days by the fleeing Boko Haram terrorists are isolated cases, though regrettable.
‘’That does not call for serious concern as it is not uncommon worldwide for such occurrence in any area that was once infested by terrorist groups.
“Those peddling rumours on the use of mercenaries are mischievous. They have done it before and failed and are at it again.
“Surely, they will definitely fail this time also. The unprecedented successes recorded against the deadly Boko Haram sect by the Nigerian military without seeking external force is there for all to see.
“The DHQ, therefore, urges our patriotic citizens to ignore the senseless talk and dismiss the story in its entirety as it was concocted to serve inglorious selfish interest.”