Breaking News

Landlord dies in early morning fire

By Monsuru Olowoopejo

LAGOS — A 45-year-old landlord, identified as Engineer Lawal, in Ikorodu axis of Lagos was, weekend, burnt to death after an early morning fire razed his building.

Also, a two-storey building at Iyabo Williams Street, off Nelson Cole, Iju Shaga, Ifako-Ijaiye, was also gutted by fire, destroying property worth millions of Naira.

Vanguard gathered that the fire that killed the landlord occurred in the early hours of Saturday, after the family had completed their sahur, early morning meal, to herald the day’s fasting.

The duplex sited at 7, Oreta Road, Igbogbo, Ikorodu Local Government Area, was completely razed by the inferno that started from the kitchen. It later spread to other parts of the building.
It was learned that the body of the landlord was recovered from the toilet by officials of the Lagos State Fire service.

Confirming the incident, the Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, said: “We met the fire well alight and immediately started extinguishing it.”

Fadipe added that preliminary investigations revealed that the landlord had run to the toilet to avoid suffocation.

He lamented: “But he could not escape because the fire had escalated. This is why we have often enlightened people on the need to call the emergency numbers immediately there is any emergency.”

Fadipe urged resident to often ensure provision of fire chemical blankets in their kitchens, saying “with this, they will be able to first prevent the fire from escalating.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.