By Soni Daniel & Henry Umoru
ABUJA — The Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, has written to President Muhammadu Buhari to ignore the claim by Mr. George Uboh, Chief Executive Officer of Public Alerts Security System that he had discovered N1.9 trillion stashed away by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC and other public agencies in Nigerian banks.
Uboh, who was last week jailed for three years by an FCT High Court for being implicated in a Police Equipment Funds related fraud, had accused Malami of blocking his efforts to recover the huge sum of money for the country.
He also accused the minister of shielding some banks and entities from being exposed for robbing the country of cash to execute its programmes.
Under the contract, Uboh was to earn five percent of the cash recovered and paid the balance into dedicated Federal Government accounts.
But in a detailed response sent to the President with Ref: HAGF/SH/2016/Vol. 1/20 and dated May 4, 2016, the minister said Uboh never recovered a dime, despite being appointed by the Federal Government to do so but merely wanted government’s recognition to collect underserved cash.
In the 19-page letter addressed to the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, Malami also said Uboh was appointed in error, having not personally known that he had previously been convicted in the United States for bank fraud and was recently jailed by Federal Capital Territory High Court for fraud related issues.
Malami said he had to revoke the authority given to Uboh’s firm, Panic Alert Security Systems, PASS, to retrieve alleged trillions of naira stashed away in banks and other government agencies when he exceeded the brief to harass other entities to open their security systems for him to obtain vital encrypted information.