December 18, 2015

Beheaded man found at base of praying mountain in Ondo

By Dayo Johnson

AKURE—Detectives in Ondo State Police Command are investigating the death of an unidentified  man who was reportedly beheaded beside a mountain where people pray and worship at Amese Community in Akure, the state capital.

Severed head

His severed head could not be foundand the body was left in a pool of its blood.

Worshippers who trooped to the mountain for their weekly special service reportedly met the headless body of the victim at the base of the mountain.

Those who came early according to investigations fled  following the discovery of the headless body  at the base of the mountain for fear of Police harassment.

Vanguard gathered that the morning service was suspended as leaders of those who usually organize the weekly worship programme went to the Ijapo police station to lodge a  formal complaint.

Reports had it that those  who went to police station to lodge complaint were detained by officers on duty, before detectives were sent to the scene of the crime to remove the headless body.

An eyewitness who spoke with newsmen said: “After the matter had been reported at Ijapo Police Station, the policemen that combed the entire area started arresting residents indiscriminately. Those that went to report the incident at police station were also detained.

“When we complained the police said the arrest of the people was part of their investigation  though we don’t know how the corpse got there.“

Also, some residents in nearby communities accused the Police of leaving the community where the incident happened to their areas to make incriminate arrests, demanding money  for bail.

Meanwhile, many residents in the community where the incident happened had fled for fear of harassment and arrest by the Police.

Incident turned into money making venture

They alleged that the Police instead of investigating the incident had turned it into a money making venture.

Police detectives informed the Vanguard that  the deceased might have been killed somewhere far from the area and the corpse dumped at the base of the mountain.

When contacted, the Police spokesman, Femi Joseph, confirmed the ugly incident, saying that police detectives have started investigations into the murder of the man.

Joseph, however, denied police harassment and extortion as alleged by residents of the communities.

No arrest

According to him, “The police did not arrest anybody, when we got information about the incident, we sent our men there to evacuate the body. We were just inviting some of the residents and asking one or two questions from them. We did not arrest or demand anything.“

Meanwhile, the headless corpse has been deposited at the Specialist hospital in Akure.

Exit mobile version