30 injured, 50 houses burnt
By Demola Akinyemi
ILORIN—No fewer than fourpeople were feared dead while thirty others were injured and 50 houses razed in renewed communal clash between the people of Share and Tsaragi despite the curfew imposed by Kwara State Government.
Vanguard reliably gathered that 30 other people sustained serious injuries in Share town in Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State yesterday following the invasion of the town by people suspected to be youths from Tsaragi.
Soldiers keep watch
Already, soldiers from Sobi army baracks, Ilorin have been drafted to the warring towns so as to support the anti-riot policemen drafted to the town on Saturday when the crisis resumed.
Also, churches, mission houses, and schools with equipped ICT facilities were reportedly burnt during the incident.
The two communities of Share and Tsaragi in the state had been engaged in face-off over a land dispute.
On Saturday, no fewer than 20 people reportedly sustained serious injuries when the clash between the two towns resumed over the invasion of the disputed land.
Sources in the town told Vanguard that the irate youths suspected to be from Tsaragi town, armed with dangerous weapons including guns, invaded Share town and started burning some houses allegedly belonging to the people of the town.
The sources informed that the invasion by the irate youths suspected to be from Tsaragi town took the people of Share unawares as the earlier presence of anti-riot policemen drafted to the warring towns gave them assurance of full protection until the irate youths came to attack the Share community with dangerous weapons.
Church, schools razed
Eye witness account who sought anonymity from the war zone said that the irate youths of Tsaragi have reportedly burnt United Missionary Church, Share, the mission houses of the pastors, the UMCA school, the Muslim Community High School and set ablaze the ICT centres in the affected schools in the ancient town.
Vanguard further gathered that some of the injured people have been taken to a private hospital in Share for proper medical attention.
Sources added that the incident prevented many Christians from the towns from attending yesterday’s church services while many residents closed their shops and business premises to avoid being attacked by the irate youths.
The sources added that the army from the Sobi barracks have been working well to ensure normalcy returned after the burning of the houses in the ancient town of Share.
Contacted, the state police command Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ajayi Okasanmi, confirmed the incident saying that ”only three houses have been burnt.”