By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has intensified effort to trace and recover the about N 600 million said to have been realised from the proceeds of the online registration by Nigerian job seekers, who enrolled for the ill-fated immigration recruitment last year.
Each of the candidates was made to part with N1000 through a company allegedly engaged a top politicians and officials of the Nigerian Immigration Service, which amounted to about N 600 million, which however developed wings.
Neither the then minister, Abba Moro, whose ministry supervised the agency nor the then NIS boss, David Paraddang, who was initially suspended and eventually sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari for undisclosed reasons, has been able to give account of the missing huge sum.
Among those who paid the money, were 15 innocent Nigerians who were crushed to death across rowdy stadia in the country where the controversial job tests were to be carried out but marred by stampede.
After ripping off the job seekers and smiling to the bank with the cash, the organisers of the deadly recruitment exercise recorded a paltry sum of N45 million in the government coffers and closed the books.
But determined to find out who might have swallowed the money, the EFCC, Thursday, continued the interrogation of Abba Moro, who served as Minister of Interior at the time and was asked to tell them all that he knew about the funds generated from the process.
Moro’s interrogation on Thursday was the second within 72 hours, having been grilled for ten hours on Tuesday on the same subject matter.
The embattled former minister spent six hours with EFCC interrogators on Thursday before being admitted to administrative bail.
One of the officials in the agency told Vanguard that the investigators wanted to know who ,between the leadership of the NIS then headed by David Paraddang and the supervising Interior Ministry then headed by Comrade Abba Moro, was keeping the money realised from the candidates who participated in the ill-fated exercise.
“At the end of the day, our agents will be able to know who is culpable so that we can press appropriate charges accordingly in line with our zero tolerance for corruption,” an official of EFCC said last night.
“We are going to get to the roots of the job scam and bring to book anyone found to have abused public trust in the process,” the official added.
It will be recalled that the EFCC had earlier in August interrogated Paraddang over the job scam and released him on administrative bail. It could not be established as at last night if Moro or Paraddang would be prosecuted over the scam.
But EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed to Vanguard that Moro came into the premises of the commission at 11 am and was interrogated till 4:20 pm when he was asked to go home.