By Vincent Ujumadu
Awka – THE people of Ekwulobia in Aguata local government area of Anambra State can now heave a sigh of relief following the removal of the 47 suspected members of Boko Haram brought into the medium security prison located in the town in June this year.
Vanguard gathered authoritatively that they were removed on Tuesday night to an unknown destination amidst tight security.
A very reliable source confirmed that the detainees have left the state to the delight of the people residing near the Ekwulobia Prisons.
It could not be ascertained yesterday where they were taken to, but according to our source, ‘definitely they have been taken out of Anambra State.’
There were about 134 inmates at the Ekwulobia prison before the 47 Boko Haram prisoners were brought in the dead of the night of Sunday, June 28, 2015 amidst tight security.
It would be recalled that protests by traders in all the major towns in Anambra State trailed the presence of the Boko Haram suspects soon after they were brought into the state, although calm eventually returned.
A visit to Ekwulobia Prison yesterday showed that the heavy security presence that was mounted shortly after the suspects were brought to the town has relaxed, as the snipers that usually sat atop a structure at the prison were not seen on their duty post. The gate of the prison was also open, unlike what the situation had been for the past three months.
However, people living around the prison said they did not know that the Boko Haram prisoners had been removed from Ekwulobia, although they said they would be happy if it was true.