Breaking News
Translate

Zakari Biu’s exoneration, a major setback to war against B’Haram – Ohanaeze Ndigbo

Following last Friday’s exoneration of dismissed former Commissioner of Police in charge Counter-Terrorism Operations at Zone 7, Abuja, CP Zakari Biu, by the Police Service Commission (PSC), the Ohanaeze Ndigbo has expressed outrage over the new twist to the CP’s dismissal.

Kabiru-Sokoto-Zakari-Biu
Kabiru Sokoto, Zakari Biu and Boko Haram explosion site

 

The PSC commuted Biu’s dismissal, by reinstating and statutorily retiring him from the Force, nearly three years after he was found guilty of aiding Boko Haram mastermind, Kabiru Sokoto to escape from detention, along Abaji road, in Abuja.

It could be re-called that Bui went on military trial in 2012, following which he was found guilty and dismissed from the Force.

Also recall that the CP appealed against his dismissal, blaming the escape of the Boko Haram suspect on other extraneous factors other than those attributed to him, resulting in the PSC exonerating him and retiring him statutorily.

However, reacting to the development, the Ohanaeze Youth Council said it was now clear that the current administration was pursuing a Northern agenda, describing the twist as a major setback in the war against Boko Haram.

The group said the latest event had shown that the government indeed belonged to the North and not to everybody.

The OYC President, Mazi Okechukwu Isiguzoro, in a statement on Saturday, said the decision of the PSC was against all known norms and true justice.

He wondered why the life of the 44 worshipers who died owing to the bomb blast masterminded by Sokoto at the St Theresa Catholic Church in Madalla, Abuja, was now less important to the new administration.

He said, “the recent happenings in Nigeria are leaving us with no doubt than to believe that the government is pursuing a Northern agenda. It shows that this government is not for everybody but for the North, otherwise.

“Before now, we were shouting over lopsided appointments, where the South-East was deliberately ignored, but the worst has come by the way of rewarding a man who aided Kabiru Sokoto after he snuffed life out of over 44 Igbo indigenes and left over 70 others critically injured.

“Our questions are these- what effort has the present administration made to know the situation of the victims of that bomb blast? What effort has the government made to know that condition of the bereaved families, considering that most of them are bread winners?

“It is obvious from the above that Mr. President cares less about Ndigbo in this country; we are saying that the current administration is dragging this country to ethnic lines and it will not pay the nation any good.

“Our stand is that whoever authorized this anti-people decision, whoever okayed the reinstatement of Biu is promoting ethnic interest against national interest.

“We call on Mr. President should rise up to the occasion and show that indeed he belongs to everybody and not to the North by prevailing on the PSC to reverse that decision.”

Isiguzoro expressed fears that the PSC’s decision would now embolden the Boko Haram terrorists to further unleash terror on the innocent Nigerian citizens.

He stressed that “our fear is that if this is allowed to stand, it might embolden Boko Haram members and affect the progress made so far in the war against terrorism. It will may send a bad signal to the Boko Haram members and as such they could become more daring in their approach.”


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.