By Prince Osuagwu
If the belief that the Ramadan month is a holy one that provides an opportunity for people all over the world to set their minds towards a higher state of being, through continuous reflection and self-sacrifice is anything to go by,then there must be a way social media can keep that fact evergreen in the minds of people.
Ramadan is the 9th month in the Islamic holy calendar. It demands the over 1.6 billion faithfuls worldwide to fast strictly from dawn until dusk, and are expected to abstain from other earthly pleasures as well.
Now, Twitter has designed accounts which can help them express themselves and talk about activities surrounding this time.
Some of the handles include:
*@ATweetforAllah focuses on Tweeting messages of goodwill and positivity to his 38,100 followers.
* @RamadanTips gives tips on the benefits and fasting regulations for the month of Ramadan, which are viewed by over 25,000 followers.
* @HadithoftheDay is an account dedicated to sharing Prophet Muhammad’s quotes as well as providing inspirational Islamic content to its over 476,000 followers.
* @SunnahHealth is an account dedicated to promoting the well-being of Muslims through healthy diets. The account handler merges the latest nutrition concepts of the modern science with Islamic traditions to create a customized cuisine for faithful followers.
* @NSCIAng, the Nigerian Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs, is on hand to send through news on happenings within the Nigerian Islamic community.
* @MuslimVoices is an account dedicated to promoting understanding and dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims.
Using the hashtag feature is also an excellent way to keep up with the general conversation around #Ramadan. Twitter users can use the #Ramadan or #Eid hashtag and use it to describe how observing Ramadan is helping them change how they view the world.
Whether you’re near or far from your family, feel free to share your thoughts and feelings with your followers by using the @Periscope app to livestream your observations on Ramadan. Periscope, Twitter’s live-streaming app, was recently released on Android devices, and also released a recent update for the Apple iOS devices, ensuring everyone with a Twitter or Periscope account to glimpse the world through the eyes of someone else.
However you choose to observe Ramadan, make your experience more meaningful with Twitter.