Breaking News
Translate

Violent clash: You said you love me, this is the time to show it, Fayose tells Hausa community

Kindly Share This Story:

By Gbenga Ariyibi

Ado-Ekiti— Governor Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew on Ado-Ekiti metropolis

Fayose, who arrived the state late Wednesday evening from Abuja, gave the order while addressing Hausa community at Atikankan area of Ado Ekiti, said the curfew began yesterday evening between 6pm and will last till 6am today.

Fayose equally ordered the security agencies to arrest whoever flouted the order.

He urged the Hausa community to see the whole issue as one of those things, promising that justice will be done in the case.

Ayodele Fayose
Ayodele Fayose

He said: “You said you love me, this is the time you have to show this love. I want to plead with you to submit whatever lethal weapons you have in your possession to the police. And if you refuse to do this, whether you are Yoruba or Hausa, the police will arrest you.

“Nigeria belongs to all of us and for the sake of our country, I plead with you to allow peace to reign.”

The governor boasted that the matter will be thoroughly investigated and those found to be connected with the wanton destruction would be made to face the full weight of the law.

Responding, Chairman of Hausa community in Ekiti State, Alhaji Adamu Imam, appealed to the government for monetary assistance to those whose property were damaged during the crisis.

Imam said the names of the perpetrators of the violent attack had been compiled and will be made available to the governor and security agencies for necessary actions.

Residents of Ado Ekiti were yesterday seen going about their businesses unmolested, while banks, business centres and shops which had closed for business were opened to customers.

However, some shops around the Oja-Oba/ old garage area where most of the damage and looting took place on the day of the mayhem still remained under lock and key at press time.

Police deny casualty figure

Meanwhile, the state Police Command has denied the casualty figure quoted in respect of the violence by some publications.

According to the Police image maker in the state, DSP Alberto Adeyemi, in a statement, “No one died as a result of the violence as of today (yesterday) contrary to reports, only two persons sustained pellet wounds while 22 others sustained various degrees of injuries.

“All the injured were taken to Police clinic in Ado-Ekiti where they are being treated and are responding to treatment.”

Adeyemi urged residents to go about their lawful businesses as enough security arrangement had been made to forestall a recurrence.

 

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!