By Chioma Onuegbu

Uyo—A landlord, identified as Chief Sunday Udiongo, and his two tenants, have been rendered homeless, following a fire that gutted his three flats located at Ibok Street, yesterday morning, in Eket Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

It was gathered that the landlord and his wife had gone to Church Wednesday night and were not back before the fire, which started about 1a.m., razed his building.

One of the tenants, Nkoyo Jackson, said but for the neighbours living opposite the building that saw smoke on the roof and raised alarm, they would have been burnt in the fire, which started from a firewood the landlord’s housegirl used and had failed to put out completely after cooking.

The fire, it was learned, later spread to a heap of firewood.

She said: “I was in my flat and I did not even notice that the building had caught fire because it started from behind the house, where the landlord’s housegirl must have left the fire wood after cooking for that night; and it caught the heap of firewood on the wall of the kitchen.

“I heard a sound like explosion and thought it was armed robbers but after sometime, I discovered that somebody had gone to the back of the building and raised alarm.

“When I rushed out from my room, there was a crowd in front of our building. That was about 1a.m.”

State Fire Prevention Officer, Mr. Victor Demson, said from the report from their Eket Divisional Office, no life was lost.

He also explained that they were yet to find out the cause of the fire because the occupants of the building refused to tell the fire fighters what happened.
He said: “Our advice is that everyone should imbibe safety habit and that each building should be equipped with fire gadgets.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.