Breaking News
Translate

Family of slain Abuja bizman alleges ‘perversion of justice’

Sends SOS to IG

By Esther Onyegbula

The family of an Abuja-based businessman, Tony Eze, who was murdered November last year at Tungamaje on the outskirts of the Federal Capital Territory, has sent an SOS to the Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase, over what they described as “perversion of justice” in the case of their slain brother.

In a petition, solicitor to the family, Mr. Kester Elisa, said after the death of the businessman in November 6, 2014, the Inspector General of Police Special Task Force on Heinous Crime, Garki 11, Abuja, carried out investigations leading to the arrest of six suspects namely: Anayo Eze, Idris Shaibu, alias Calamity, Executioner, Okechukwu Nelson, alias Barrack, Emmanuel Igwe, Samuel Okoro and Augustine Nwamba, alias Jangaza.

According to him, “it is with regrets that five months after the death of the deceased, the matter was formally charged to the High Court of FCT, 2, but with notable shortcomings and lapses both in the investigations and prosecution.”

The petition

The petition read: “That it has been established that the principal suspect in the matter, Augustine Nwamba (Jangaza) has compromised so many aspects of investigations.

Late-Tony-Ezeh
Late-Tony-Ezeh

“Some pages of the statements of the accused persons attached as proof of evidence filed at the High Court, Abuja, especially that of the principal suspect, are missing as only one page out of three was attached.

“The IPO has also failed to investigate further why Zuba Police Station where the killing of the deceased was first reported at 7p.m., failed to respond till about 11p.m.

“The mix up in the numbering of the accused persons names on the charge sheet on April 22, when the matter came up for hearing, prompting the court to order the prosecution to go and rectify same and put his house in order before the next nearing date were all indicators of a shoddy job, which could derail the cause of justice in this matter.

“That the deceased transferred N5 million to the principal suspect for conversion of same to dollars, which he never did before the killing of the deceased, and it is suspected to be the reason why he (the principal suspect) arranged the killing.

“After the death of his friend, the principal suspect started demanding another N12 million from his family, alleging that the deceased collected the said sum from somebody he has not been able to produce and the IPO has not shown any reason for not investigating this issue further.”

… appeal to IG

The family, therefore, pleaded with the police boss to, as a matter of urgency, withdraw the matter from the court for fresh, further and proper investigations.

They also pleaded that the matter be transferred from the IGP Special Task Force on Heinous Crime to any other reliable and competent department of the police.

While commending the IGP for the focused and dynamic steps he has taken so far after his appointment, they also pleaded that he should give any other directive(s) that he felt will ensure that proper investigation and prosecution was done in the matter.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.