Breaking News

Judge orders Police to produce murder suspect in court


LAGOS — Justice Raliatu Adebiyi of a Lagos High Court sitting at Igbosere has issued a production warrant on a murder suspect, Isaac Ajisegiri.

Ajisegiri, 31, who allegedly murdered his wife by slicing her throat with a kitchen knife, was expected to be arraigned before the court but was absent from court because he was not produced by the prosecutor.

AJisegiri was said to have murdered his wife, one Endurance Ajisegiri, 31, on April 14, 2013, at their Shasha, Egbeda residence.

Sister to the suspect, Esther Ajisegiri, who was at the scene of crime and allegedly washed the blood stains, which caused distortion of evidence, was also charged alongside Isaac.

They were charged on a two-count charge of conspiracy and murder, an offence punishable under Sections 221 and 229 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.

Justice Adebiyi, however, adjourned the matter till October 6, for production of the suspect from prison and arraignment.

The deceased was said to have abandoned her matrimonial home when she got wind of an illicit affair between her husband and an employee.

The deceased relocated to her parents’ home in Ibeju-Lekki and after several entreaties, she returned to her husband’s house before she met her untimely death.

The Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Sergeant Moses Godgift of the State Criminal Investigating Department (SCID), Panti, Yaba, said the Police received a report on April 14, 2013, that a woman was murdered at 2, Ajani Salau Close, Shasha, Akowonjo, Lagos.

How trouble started

He said in the course of their investigations, the deceased was discovered to be one Endurance Ajisegiri, wife of the suspect.

While narrating how the incident happened, the IPO said the deceased and the suspect got married in 2008 and had an educational outreach that thrived.

Trouble started between them when the deceased started accusing the suspect of infidelity, until it degenerated to the extent that the joint business broke up and the deceased deserted her matrimonial home.

He further said after the deceased left her matrimonial home, the deceased and the husband were running the business independent of each other.

The deceased was also reported to have left home with documents of some of the landed property acquired when they were on good terms, an action the suspect was not happy about and was making frantic efforts to get the documents back.

To get the documents back,the suspect and his sister on April 12, 2013, started making moves to trick the deceased back home, ostensibly to settle the disagreement and bring her back to her matrimonial home.

Unknown to her that she was being tricked, and on Saturday, April 13, 2013, the deceased fell for the trick and followed Esther to the house of the suspect.

According to the IPO, the deceased on reaching the house for settlement, the suspect, his sister and mother pretended to discuss and settle the disagreement between the couple at about 10pm of the same day after which the suspect and the deceased slept together in their bedroom, while the other people slept at the living room.

In the night “at about 3 am of Sunday, April, 14, 2013, the suspect and his sister woke the deceased up and continued the discussion until about 4 am and at about 5:30 am, the suspect raised an alarm that attracted other members of the house that the deceased had been found dead in the kitchen, her throat slit with a kitchen knife,” the IPO said.



Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.