Abuja – The FCT Police Command on Wednesday appealed to residents spreading rumour of bomb blasts in the territory to desist from such habit.
The spokesperson of the command, DSP Altine Daniel, made the appeal while reacting to another purported bomb scare at the Federal Secretariat.
Daniel advised anyone with useful information on suspected persons, movement or objects, to call the police instead of spreading rumour, thereby causing panic.
“Don’t spread rumour, anyone with useful information on suspected explosive object should call the police.
“Those spreading rumour of bombs do not have experience to handle explosive devices; they only cause panic.
“It is the police and other security agencies that are trained to handle suspected bombs. If there is any, please call the police and stop spreading rumour,’’ she appealed.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the appeal followed a bomb scare at the Federal Secretariat at about noon on Wednesday.
Daniel, however, said that the rumour was about a car allegedly laden with explosive devices and parked at a section of the Federal Secretariat.
It was learnt that following the rumour, personnel from the anti-bomb squad, supported by sniffer dogs, were immediately deployed to comb all nooks and crannies of the secretariat.
However, they did not find any object.
Some workers at the secretariat, who spoke to NAN, claimed ignorance of the rumour.
Normal official activities have resumed at the secretariat.
However, a security officer, who pleaded anonymity, said personnel from the police bomb disposal unit had been visiting the secretariat on daily basis.
The source said that during the visit, they combed everywhere for suspected explosive devices, adding that this was one of the proactive measures adopted recently to forestall any eventuality.
It would be recalled that there was a bomb scare at the secretariat last week. (NAN)