- We lost everything; give us jobs, evacuees beg FG
By Kingsley omonobi, LAIDE AKINBOADE & Victoria Ojeme
ABUJA— The Federal Government has so far evacuated 1,277 Nigerians stranded in crisis-torn Central African Republic, CAR.
It would be recalled that a United Nations, UN, report, said over one million people had been displaced from their homes in the clashes between Christian militias and the mainly Muslim Seleka rebel group that overthrew President Francois Bozize in March.
According to NEMA, the first batch of evacuees arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Friday, January 3.
The agency said others, who were evacuated on Saturday and Sunday, were all received on behalf of the Federal Government by its Director-General, Muhammad Sani-Sidi, and officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Ministry.
Welcoming the returnees home, Sani-Sidi told the evacuees that food and non-food items were available for them at the camp, while contacts had been made with the government of their various states of origin to convey them home.
Most of the registered evacuees were discovered to be indigenes of Bauchi, Edo, Jigawa, Kebbi, Borno, Ekiti, and Anambra, Zamfara, FCT, Akwa Ibom, Benue, Abia, Enugu, Kano, Imo and Kaduna states.
Others were from Sokoto, Kwara, Adamawa, Gombe Nassarawa and Delta.
The governments of Benue, Anambra, Delta, Abia, Edo and Bauchi states have so far commenced the trans-portation of their indigenes out of camp in Abuja.
A breakdown of the evacuees, comprising mainly children, women, the aged and disabled, indicated that the first batch consisted of 365; second batch, 748; and third, 164.
Meanwhile, some of the evacuees have appealed to