India — A 28-year-old Nigerian has died while undergoing treatment at Inamdar Hospital, in India only a few minutes after a group of seven persons dropped him off at the hospital, then fled the scene.

According to PuneMirror, an Indian news portal, the man identified as Mbamara Chideara Festus, normally stays in Nigeria, but at the time of the incidence, he was in Mumbai.

A post-mortem conducted at Sassoon General Hospital, said Festus died of alcohol overdose after a party at Hotel Shalimar, Kondhwa.

After he fell unconscious, seven of his friends — five men and two women — dropped him off at the hospital and left immediately. He was declared dead minutes later.

A guard at the hospital noted down the registration number of the car and the Wanowrie police managed to track it down in Kondhwa.

A senior police inspector, B. D. Mohite, who is in charge of Wanowrie police station said: “As per primary information, Festus is from Mumbai, and originally from Nigeria. His friends are students in Mumbai, mostly from Nigeria as well.

They had all come to Pune on Friday to attend a party at Hotel Shalimar in Kondhwa. It looks like he may have drank beyond his limits and then faced its ill-effects.

“We established contact with his friends in Mumbai. They came to Pune in two separate cars at the invitation of one of their friends here. While partying, Festus suddenly collapsed.

“One of his friends, identified as Chukwuma took him to the hospital, along with six others. While treating him, doctors declared him dead. On hearing this, his friends panicked, thinking they might get into trouble with the police, especially since they did not have their passports with them. They left the hospital at once and got in touch with us only after they got back to Mumbai.”

Mohite further said that, as per the post-mortem report, Festus had no external or internal injuries. The report states that the details of the cause of death have been kept confidential.

“However, it is part of the investigation as to whether any other narcotic substances were used,” Mohite said.

Sunil Date, administrative officer, Inamdar Multispeciality Hospital said: “Around 3:15 am, around seven to eight people came in two cars. They took the patient to the casualties ward, then left in a hurry. He was in a very bad state. When doctors took him and checked his ECG, they found he was already dead.

“Our security guards chased the car and noted the registration number, which we then handed over to the police. Since the death occurred before we could treat him, we do not know the exact cause. We have already given the police CDs of our CCV footage to help them in their investigation.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.