Damaturu –  The Commander of the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) in Yobe, Col. Ibrahim Ali, on Sunday said that activities of Boko Haram insurgents had been curtailed, following the declaration of state of emergency in the state.

Ali in Damaturu said that attacks by the insurgents, especially in the volatile areas of Damaturu and Potiskum had reduced, after security forces pushed the insurgents out of their enclaves.

“We have not had any major encounter except on June 16 when they attacked a school in Damaturu. We have pushed them out of town.’’

The commander said that the JTF had  discovered, particularly in Potiskum, that armed robbers had seized the opportunity to rob people under the guise of insurgency.

Ali said the situation in Yobe had remained “relatively stable’’, noting that the JTF was doing everything possible to contain the  situation permanently.

He said that the task force had been having a good working relationship with members of the public, whom he said, had continued to provide vital information on the insurgents.

Ali urged the populace to continue to cooperate with security agents, saying that the JTF was aware of the inconveniences and challenges the public was facing because of the declaration of state of emergency in the state.

On allegations of long detention of suspects, the commander said that the JTF was being meticulous to ensure that only those found to have participated in criminal activities were held.

He said that suspects were made to go through careful and meticulous documentation and interrogation by a special team, made up of personnel from the police, SSS, army and the NDLEA.

Ali said that all suspects were being treated well, adding: “they eat the same food being served to my soldiers.’’ (NAN)

Subscribe for latest Videos

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.