Kano—The Kano State Hisbah Board, yesterday, said it has evacuated 114 destitute persons from the streets of Kano metropolis.
The Director-General of the board, Alhaji Abba Sufi, told the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Kano that the exercise commenced on Sunday.
According to him, the exercise is part of the state government’s resolve to ban begging on the streets of the state capital.
Sufi said: “We have so far evacuated 114 destitute persons out of whom 85 are women and children while the remaining 29 are men.
“Out of the 29 men, 18 are non-indigenes and will soon be repatriated to their respective states of origin”.
According to him, all the evacuees are temporarily being accommodated at the board pending completion of the rehabilitation work at the Mariri Rehabilitation Centre in Kumbotso Local Government Area of the state.
Sufi said officials of the board had also held a meeting with leaders of various associations of the destitute persons with a view to suggesting possible ways of rehabilitating their members.
“We held a meeting this morning with the leaders of the Association of the Blind and other similar associations to discuss how the state government can assist them,” he said.
He called on the destitute persons to support government’s effort toward rehabilitating them.