Breaking News

Two buildings razed in Lagos on New Year day


LAGOS — Tragedy again struck in Lagos on New Year day as two buildings on Jones Street, Ebute-Metta, Yaba Local Government, were razed, property worth millions of naira destroyed.

This came barely a week after the firecrackers explosion at Jankara Market, Lagos Island Local Government, which razed over 10 buildings on December 26, last year.

When Vanguard visited the scene of the fire disaster, it was gathered that the house went up in flames at about 8:45p.m. on Tuesday night and spread to the next building.

*Remnants of the burnt buildings on Jones Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos. Photo: Monsur Olowoopejo.
*Remnants of the burnt buildings on Jones Street, Ebute Metta, Lagos. Photo: Monsur Olowoopejo.

It was also learnt that the fire which started from a cooking stove, was escalated by petrol stored in the first building built with planks and roofing sheets before spreading to the next building (concrete) sited at No. 1, Jones Street.

Mr. Taofeek Taiwo, a seven-year-old boy, who raised the alarm, narrated: “I was returning from a provision store when I saw some section of the wooden structure already in flames.

“Immediately I discovered this, I shouted to alert passers-by and our neighbours to rescue my siblings and my mother who were fast asleep.”

Mr. Ayodele Makanjuola, a resident of No. 1, Jones Street, who spoke with tears, said “I have lost all my property in this New Year’s inferno.”

According to Makanjuola, who is in his late 30’s, “I was able to salvage from the building my two children who were inside the room and fast asleep.

He added that he was also able to recover his phone and other petty items from the raging fire.”

Explaining how the fire incident occurred, Makanjuola said “the fire emanated from the stove of one of the tenants of the wooden structure called Iyawo, who was cooking in the passage of the wooden structure, beside her generator that was filled with Petrol Motor Spirit, (PMS).

“While still cooking, she left the house to purchase some cooking ingredients. But before she came, the fire hads begun and spread to the next building and razed it.”

In contrast, Makanjuola said that the loss would have been minimal if the men of the Lagos State Fire Service had arrived on time when calls were made through to their office.

“When the first tanker arrived at about 30 minutes after, it came without water. Before the vehicle returned, the damage had been done,” he added.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.