Breaking News
Translate

Yuletide: Jonathan orders rehabilitation of bad roads

Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday directed the Ministry of Works to carry out immediate rehabilitation of all the dilapidated road infrastructure nationwide before the yuletide season.

The Minister of Communication Technology, Mrs Omobola Johnson, disclosed this while briefing the State House correspondents on the outcome of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by the president.

One of the failed sections of the Lagos- Badagry Expressway between Trade Fare and Ojo military barracks

Johnson stood in for the Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, who was on Good Governance Tour.

“As we moved into the Christmas period, you know there is going to be lot of travelling, as people will all go back to celebrate Christmas and New Year.

“Mr President has directed that the Ministry of Works to ensure that the key roads in the country are motorable and safe for all Nigerians to travel back home during the Christmas and the New Year period.’’

Speaking in the same vein, the Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, said the Council approved a special programme for prompt rehabilitation of all roads damaged by floods.

“As a result of heavy rains witnessed in all parts of our country this year couple with the overflow of rivers Niger and Benue, our road infrastructure across the country was impacted negatively.

“Today, the Federal Executive Council approved that a special programme for the maintenance and rehabilitation of major arterial roads in this country be immediately carried out by the Federal Ministry of Works.

“Today’s approval by FEC would ensure that all impacted road infrastructure are given the due attention.

“So in the next couple of weeks, we are going to be witnessing a massive roll-out on most sections of federal highways across the country consequent on this approval.

“I want to assure Nigerians that we would do all we can to ensure that the roads are made motorable again as to be able to guarantee safe and comfortable motoring to various parts of the country during the end of the year.’’

Onolememen said his ministry was already carrying out repairs on roads and bridges damaged by floods in Katsina, Kano, Plateau, Enugu and Port-Harcourt.

The minister said he also briefed the Council on the successful completion of rehabilitation of the third-mainland bridge in Lagos.

“Yesterday, we re-opened the bridge which was awarded for maintenance and specifically the repairs of the eight numbers defective joints approved by the FEC in November last year.

“The work was scheduled to be completed by Nov. 6 but however due to effective planning and monitoring of the construction works, we were able to achieve the feat about 10 days before the scheduled completion date.’’

He said the re-opening of the third mainland bridge had brought succour and relief to motorists in Lagos. (NAN)

All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.