Breaking News

124,000 houses demolished in Abuja since 2010, says Minister

The FCT Minister, Sen. Bala Mohammed, on Monday said that more than 124,000 houses had been demolished in Abuja since he assumed office in 2010.

Bala disclosed this at the Town Hall Meeting to round-off the three days Good Governance Projects Tour of Abuja.

He said the administrations before him had demolished 30,000 houses.

“We are doing this to get the Abuja Masterplan correctly, we are demolishing and we will continue to demolish.’’

He said that compensation and resettlement had become a big problem and that plans were on to relocate 19 villages very soon.

“We have to complete the building in Wasa and other places before we can resettle them.

“The structures ought to have been completed three years before I assumed office but I am assuring you that we shall complete them very soon.

“The demolition of the illegal structures has become imperative in order to keep the sanity of the city and restore the original masterplan of the nation’s capital.

“We must not allow the FCT to degenerate into something else. We must protect the sanity of the city. NAN


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.