By ABAYOMI ADESIDA WITH AGENCY REPORT
ABUJA—The United Nations, UN, yesterday, said it was not deterred by the bombing and killing of its staff in Abuja last year.
The United Nations Resident Coordinator in Nigeria, Daouda Toure in his speech at the anniversary of the attack which killed 23 persons and injured 120 others, said: “Although the devastating attack took the lives of our colleagues and partners and maimed many people, all of whom were in the building in the pursuit of service to humanity, our spirits have not been dampened.
“Their death mobilises us more than ever before. Their sacrifice will not be in vain. We will strive to pursue our work for the people of Nigeria for the continuance of peace and stability of this great nation, and the socio-economic development of all. The UN identifies with the people of all its member states, which justifies the expression ‘we, the people,’ as prescribed in the UN Charter. The families of our fallen colleagues should be proud of the altruism of their loved ones.”
He said the death of staff and partners of the organisation killed by the bomb blast which brought down the UN House in Abuja on Friday, August26, only helped to mobilise their surviving colleagues.
Toure saluted the resilience and courage of UN staff and officials who had continued undaunted with their development and humanitarian work of helping the people of Nigeria regardless of the constraints.
“From our temporary office locations, the UN agencies and organisations are pursuing their mission and mandate for Nigerians. As an illustration, barely 24 hours after the bomb attack, the UN operation was back on stream and helping the flooding victims in some states – a reaffirmation of the UN’s commitment and promise to the great member state, Nigeria.”
He reaffirmed that the United Nations System in Nigeria would continue on its mission to assist in improving the lives of poor people, to conquer hunger, disease and illiteracy, and to encourage respect for each other’s rights and freedoms.