Accra – Bolaji Ojo-Oba, the Director of Sports, Elite Athletes, says there are no regrets over the dropping of two sports by the Federal Ministry of Sport from attending the ongoing 2nd ECOWAS sports.
The dropped sports are handball and volleyball.
Ojo-Oba told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday in Accra that the concerns of the ministry were to send a slim team that had medal prospects.
“Our concern was to come here with events that would give us medal prospects and that was exactly what we did and we are not regretting it at all.’’
According to him the country has performed well in our traditional area like athletics and boxing.
He said that bringing the team events would not have made great difference.
“We were unable to get as much as we would have loved to get in athletics. Most of the events through which we were lifted silver medals were events that should have given us gold medals.
“Due to some one or two mistakes; we were unable to achieve that but the totality of what we have seen so far is exactly, is encouraging and we are very happy about that.’’
Nigeria had so far been leading on the overall medals table with 13 gold, while Ghana, the closest rival is trailing with nine gold.
However, they look good to win more of the gold medals on offer in about five events in boxing and volleyball that have yet to be concluded. (NAN)