Breaking News

Only survivor of generator fumes dies…as father blames hospital

AWKA—THE only survivor in the generator fume incident at Urum, Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State, 19-year-old Ugonna Nwajideobi, has died, bringing to five the number of casualties.

Ugonna’a brothers, Chigozie and Dubem and their 95-year-old grand father, Sopuru Nwankwo, were found dead when the house in which they slept was opened as they could not respond to calls from outside last weekend.

However, Ugonna, who was still alive when the door was opened, was rushed to the hospital where she was placed on oxygen.

She was later referred to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, UNTH, Enugu, but the young girl gave up the ghost after leaving the private hospital in Awka.

Father of the three dead children, Mr. Charles Nwajideobi, who sobbed uncontrollably yesterday, blamed the private hospital for the death of Ugonna, adding that authorities of the hospital removed the oxygen placed on her when she was referred to UNTH.

He lamented: “It was the doctor in the hospital that suggested we should take her to Enugu which we agreed to do so immediately.

“Surprisingly, they said we should take the girl to Enugu without the oxygen. When it was removed while we were still at the gate of the private hospital, my daughter gave up.

“I believe that if the hospital had allowed us to carry the girl with the oxygen to Enugu, she would not have died before getting to UNTH.

“At the private hospital in Awka, one of the doctors, Dr. Sam Okafor, said he was not in the hospital when the patient was brought in, adding that he only resumed after the patient had died.”

The traditional ruler of the area, Igwe Benedict Nweke, told newsmen yesterday that the incident was a tragedy, adding that such a thing had never happened at Urum.

He said the incident had remained a mystery to the community, describing as unfortunate a situation where a man lost three children and his father in-law at the same time.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.