By Kenneth Ehigiator
LAGOS—Residents of Lekki-Epe area of Lagos State, yesterday, cautioned the state government not to stoke another Boko Haram phenomenon with the exploitation of road users in the area through toll collection by its partner, Lekki Construction Company, LCC.
Their reactions came against the backdrop of weekend’s opening of the second toll gate at Ajah, for which no alternative route had been provided.
The first toll gate was opened last December 18, 2011, around Lekki Phase 1, about 15 kilometers from the second, which alternative route runs through a private Oniru Estate, and not the Coastal road specified by the agreement between the state government and LCC.
The angry residents, warned that Boko Haram stemmed from the injustice similar to one being imposed on residents of that part of Lagos, wondering if the state government would be able to stem the tide when the area explodes.
An angry resident told Vanguard, “This government is biting more than it can chew. Three months ago, the government used security men to muzzle the people to accept what is a bitter pill. People have just been coping with the first toll gate, maybe because there is what appears an alternative route.
“But this second one at Ajah, you can see there is no alternative; they want to make it compulsory for people to use this road and pay money, even when they know that they are only to start tolling after constructing an alternative route, which they have not constructed and have no plan of doing so.”
If you drive through here 10 times, you pay 10 times, so people cannot go to work and school again because Lagos State Government wants to make money,” he added.
Another resident said, “I this government is fishing for trouble. You can’t push a people to the wall and expect them not to react. If there is fire in this part of Lagos, the state government should be held respon