By Our reporters with Agency report
ABUJA— TO get to the bottom of the August 26, 2011 Boko Haram suicide attack on the United Nations, UN, House in Abuja, which claimed 23 lives and maimed 150 others in Abuja, the State Security Service, SSS, has announced a N25 million reward for anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the mastermind, Mamman Nur.
SSS Spokesperson, Marilyn Ogar, in a statement yesterday pleaded with the public to contact the nearest Police Station, Military formation or any other security agency with information on Nur.
This is as a splinter group of the Jamaatu Ahlil Sunna Lidawati wal Jihad (Boko-Haram) denied killing their ex-leader’s brother in-law, Alhaji Babakura Fugu, in Maiduguri, few hours after former President Olusegun Obasanjo visited the family last Saturday. Mourning Fugu, the factional sect described Fugu’s death as painful and unfortunate, and warned media houses of stiffer action should they continue to misrepresent the group.
Meanwhile, Obasanjo and former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, have sued for peace to end the prevailing orgy of killings in the country as Borno elders and Catholic bishops differed on the necessity of President Goodluck Jonathan dialoguing with Boko Haram leaders.
And to stem Boko Haram’s fresh threats to attack embassies and foreign missions in Lagos, the Police high command, weekend ordered deployment of more personnel from anti-bomb and anti-terrorism units to fortify existing security around the embassies.
Relatedly, the Plateau State Government has decried the wave of killings in the state despite the strong presence of security personnel, lamenting that over N43bn worth of property was lost in the 2008 crisis alone. And, in collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) it has started compiling names of victims of the crises and those of their families with a view to assisting them.
N25m reward on Nur
Restating that Nur was the mastermind of the UN headquarters attack, the SSS spokesperson said in the statement: “Attached herewith is a picture of Mamman Nur. He is still declared WANTED. A reward of twenty five million naira (N25, 000,000) is being offered for information that could lead directly to the apprehension or conviction of Mamman Nur. If you have any information concerning this person, please contact the nearest Police Station, Military formation or any other security agency.”
The SSS had earlier arrested two notorious leaders of Boko Haram, Babagana Ismail Kwaljima (a.k.a Abu Summaya) and Babagana Mali (a.k.a Bulama), over the UN building blast.
A statement issued earlier by the SSS, had said, “on 18th August, 2011, precise intelligence was obtained by this Service that some Boko Haram elements were on a mission to attack unspecified targets in Abuja in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry vehicle with registration number AA539GBL.
“Following their arrests, security was further beefed up in Abuja and its environs. Meanwhile the suspects have made valuable statements and are being held at a military facility.
“Investigation has revealed that one Mamman NUR, a notorious Boko Haram element with Al-Qaeda links who returned recently from Somalia, working in concert with the two suspects masterminded the attack on the United Nations (UN) building in Abuja.
Further investigation has also revealed that the car used for the attack was a Honda car with Kano State registration number AV38NSR.
It was purchased on 3rd September, 2002 and registered on 3rd December, 2002. The vehicle identification number is 1HGCBA7400A100748, Engine number, F22A72000540.”