Breaking News

Good night Bunmi! Oshodi Oke ’s P.A, dies of bone cancer

By Tope Bello

Couple of months back, the news of Bunmi Akinleye who was diagnosed with Cancer of the Bone Marrow broke as there were series of campaign from friends asking people to rally round her for financial support.

The 29 year old lady is the Personal Assistant to popular Yoruba actress, Ronke Ojo fondly called Ronke Oshodi Oke. Following the closeness between the two, most people always think she is actually Ronke Oshodi Oke younger sister. Ronke also tried her best using her status in the society to solicit help to save her from dying.

Unfortunately, she lost her battle with the disease on Monday April 11, 2011. She died at University College Hospital, Ibadan, where she had been getting treatment.

Before her death, she went through a  gruesome ordeal and fought a brave battle. The bone marrow cancer  has ravaged  her upper body and left  her right ankle with decayed tumor, exposed and untreated swollen sores that streams continuously of bodily fluids; discharges mucus and pores every second, due to lack of proper medical treatment. The fluids  slowly build up to her upper shoulders and neck. She was practically depending on dosage of pains medications daily before she can sleep.

The genesis of her illness actually started 3 years ago when she felt a sharp pain in the left shoulder as she woke up in the morning. As a result of the pain she felt, she decided to follow it up medically. The hospital initially diagnosed her as fractured bone from the results of X-ray she did.

The next day, she was instructed to take the X-ray to Igbobi Orthopedic Hospital, Lagos where  she was told that she needed an immediate surgery to correct the fractured bone. Few weeks after the surgery;  she noticed a swelling and  a constant excruciating pain. She returned to Igbobi hospital which also  referred her to The Lagos University Teaching Hospital, for further possible treatment.

On getting to LUTH, she was told that the hospital  does not have the medical equipment needed for her therapy, as such, it referred her to Eko Hospital: Eko in turn sent her back to Igbobi Orthopedics Hospital.

At Igbobi, the doctors threatened to amputate her arms as last solution to her illness, which she refused outrightly.

And since she couldn’t get a solution to her health problem medically, and due to lack of sufficient funds to go overseas for proper treatment, she sought spiritual and faith healing through various churches: The churches told her it was a spiritual attack.

She carried the burden of pain and keeps praying for survival everyday.  She fights on; hoping for a miracle. She also awaits  sponsorship to help her get the right medical treatment so as to live peacefully and painlessly again.

She lived a pathetic life before breathing her last breath.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.