Breaking News

NANS condemns killing of UNIJOS’ students

… as fresh troops arrive Jos

National Associa-tion of Nigerian Students, NANS, has condemned the killing of the governorship candidate of All Nigerian People’s Party, ANPP, and five others in Borno State.

Also the arrival of battalion of soldiers in the Plateau State capital Monday sparked off speculations that a state of emergency had been declared in Plateau and Borno states.

The group also  decried the recent violence against students of the University of Jos.
NANS President, Mr. Ini Ememobong, yesterday, said: “We must remember that we are in a democracy. The level of political killings is alarming and reminds us of the Abacha era where political rivals were eliminated with impunity.

“It is a huge shame that security operatives opened fire on harmless students while showing unwillingness to deal with deadly terrorists who have made the once tourist haven the dread of the world.

“We, therefore, charge the President to beef up security in Jos, and in Plateau State as a whole.”

The insecurity in Jos town is becoming alarming and a sign of ineptitude on the part of government.

“Given the way insecurity is sweeping across the entire country, citizens may soon resort to self help.

“We call on the commander of the Special Task Force, STF,  to immediately apologise to the students for the unwarranted attack and further undertake to foot their medical bills while providing security at the campus.”

… as fresh troops arrive Jos

The arrival of a battalion of soldiers in the Plateau State capital yesterday sparked off speculations that a state of emergency had been declared in Plateau and Borno states.

The number of the soldiers who arrived in about 10 Marcopolo buses was said to have been interpreted by some to mean they have come to take over the state, and they quickly spread the news round to many other people.

Many residents quickly tuned on their television or radio sets to hear the news but got no such information.
Some others made telephone calls to those they feel should know including journalists but were told there was nothing as such.

Commander of the Special Task Force keeping peace in the state, Brig. Gen. Hassan Umoru had in the wake of criticisms that his men had compromised hinted that a new set of soldiers would soon be brought to replace those currently serving who had been in the state for some time now.

The state government in a statement signed by the Director of Press Affairs in the Governor’s Office, James Mannok said the rumor was the handiwork of those who did not wish the state well and who have been behind the recurring crisis to achieve this objective.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.