By Enyim Enyim
ONITSHA—About one million residents at Ugwuagba and Awada Obosi in Idemlli North local government of Anambra State may be rendered homeless following a plan by the Anambra state Urban Development Board, ASUDEB to demolish their structures.
The Board has already marked more than 100 structures to be demolished in the place at the expiration of a 14 day ultimatum given to the residents to quit, starting from Thursday last week when the notice was given to them.
Last Friday more than 500 placard-carrying residents from the area, comprising tenants and landlords, led by Chief Paul Chinedu, marched in a peaceful protest to Government House, Awka, to appeal to Governor Peter Obi to intervene in the matter.
Speaking jointly to newsmen, Chinedu and Chief Charles Agu said the quit notice was given to them last Thursday ordering them to leave the place within 14 days or pay the cost of pulling down their structures if they failed to comply with the order.
According to them, the structures had been in the area since 1981 without any threat or harassment from the government, contrary to ASUDEB claim that the Idemili zone of the Board had in 1981 given the residents notice not to erect building under the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN high tension wire.
Chinedu said about 200 persons were already on admission in various hospitals on account of high blood pressure and appealed to Governor Obi to come to their aid and save them from mental torture and possible deaths.