*To parade them tomorrow

By Dayo Johnson

AKURE— POLICE in Ondo State have arrested at least five armed robbery suspects in connection with last week bank robbery in which five persons were killed in Akure, the Ondo State capital.

Those that were killed include a nursing mother and hair dresser, Mrs Oluyi who went to one of the banks to cash money for the school fees of one of her children, the driver of the 18-seater bus, Muri Sule, a father of four and three others who were hit by stray bullets.

The suspects, according to police source, are to be paraded tomorrow by the State Police Commissioner, Mogagi Nasarawa who would also open up on the reason behind the security lapse in the state last Thursday.

Dependable police source told Vanguard that the suspects were picked up at different locations in the metropolis following a tip off.

State Police PRO, Adeniran Aremu was not forth coming on the arrest but assured that the police would catch up with the hoodlums in a matter of days.

It would be recalled that the one-hour operation of the eight- man gangsters unmolested by security operatives in the state capital drew condemnation from within and outside the state.

The hoodlums who were led by a 23-year-old lady held the state hostage as policemen and residents ran for cover following the booming of different brand of weapon they brought to the two new generation banks.

They used dynamite in blowing off the security doors of the banks before heading to the banks vaults.

Meanwhile, the police are yet to unravel the mystery behind the constable’s gun that was recovered from the scene of the robbery.

A source said investigation into the mystery has been ordered by the police command following the passing of buck by some top police officers in the command.

The State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko who visited the scene of the robbery has however warned that the State would not be a safe haven for robbers as such infractions would be met with the stiffest preventive measures said the State Government who was deeply sad about the death and injuries sustained by innocent citizens during the attacks.

According to him, the State Government would not fold its arms and watch the State turned into an operating ground for hoodlums.

Mimiko, while assuring that the sanctity of lives and property would be protected in the State added that efforts were being put in place to stem a re-occurrence of such incident in future.

The governor said he was briefed by Security Chiefs that the incident happened in the market place, because of this, the security men could not engage in serious shooting else there would have been more casualities.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.