Breaking News

Policeman kills colleague over food

By Tony Edike

ENUGU—THE current peace effort in the warring communities of Oruku and Umuode in Enugu State has taken a new turn as a mobile policeman in the team of security operatives deployed to restore peace to the area, has reportedly shot dead a police constable,  following a minor misunderstanding over food.

Corporal Yunusa Garba, a member of the police peace-keeping team from Mopol 3 Police Mobile Force, PMF, Enugu allegedly gunned down  one of his colleagues, Constable  Matthew Ganyan at Oruku, Wednesday evening after a disagreement over  sharing of food supplied to the team.

Sources said that the incident which has increased tension in the two communities could have led to a major bloodshed among the security operatives, some of who were said to have engaged in sporadic shooting apparently in protest against the death of their colleague.

The Nkanu East Local Government Area had since 2008 taken over the responsibility of feeding about 80 members of the police peace-keeping force in the warring communities until the recent clash in the area, which claimed several property, one life and left many others with injuries.

The policemen, it was learnt, were taking their meal supplied by the council Wednesday evening, when two of them engaged themselves in a hot argument, specifically over sharing of meat in the soup, which later resulted to a fight.

Angered by the uncomplimentary comments from his subordinate, Corporal Garba was said to have suddenly grabbed his AK 47 riffle and shot his opponent several times on the lap, leaving him in a pool of blood.

The development was said to have caused pandemonium among the few villagers residing in the area as they reportedly took to their heels, thinking that the warlords from the two communities might have resumed their shooting.

Leader of the police peace-keeping team, whose name could not be ascertained as at press time, immediately ordered the arrest of the trigger-happy mobile police corporal, while the wounded constable  was rushed to Parklane Hospital, Enugu but he died before getting there.

The killer cop is now being detained at the Homicide Department of the Enugu State Police Command, where he is being interrogated. The State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, confirmed the death of the police constable when contacted yesterday.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.