Breaking News

Militant leader, Kitikata, dies in Bayelsa

By Samuel Oyadongha
Yenagoa—One of the most feared notorious militant leaders in Bayelsa State, Woki Godswill Ibralafu, alias Kitikata, is dead.

Vanguard learnt that the Okpoama-born militant leader died from gunshot injuries he sustained during the Easter day violent shoot out with men of the Joint Task Force around the Okilo Creek, near Igbomotoru River, Tebidaba route and the Nembe creek in the state.

No fewer than 20, including two security operatives, were reportedly lost during the bloody skirmishes dubbed black Easter involving the JTF and militants.

The attack was jointly launched by two camps operated by the deceased and Fara Dagogo, the Joint Task Force Spokesman Col Rabe Abubakar, had stated in an online statement at the time, and declared the militant leaders wanted before the presidential amnesty came into force.

Kitikata was said to have sustained serious injuries during the clashand had retreated into the mangrove in search of local treatment since he could not visit any of the hospitals in town to avoid detection and arrest by JTF.  He was said to have died last Thursday.

The dead miltia leader, known for his involvement in various daring attacks on military formations and oil stations, Vanguard learnt, reached out to his benefactor and leader in the creeks of Rivers, Fara Dagogo for help.

Fara Dagogo, it was further learnt, smuggled in a doctor to the creeks of Bayelsa, but the doctor’s advice for an emergency operation in a hospital could not be taken due to security concern.

With no proper medication, the once feared militant lost the battle to live due to alleged complication from the injuries he sustained in the gun fight.

The deceased militant, who until his death was not only a constant threat to the military on the Atlantic fringe of Brass, but also terrorized the oil majors operating in the area in area.

The warlord, it would be recalled, invaded the Anglo-Dutch oil giant, SPDC, facility in the troubled Nembe last February and dropped letters to the oil major for recognition and that the company should be making payment of N3 million monthly to his camp.

The deceased militant and foot soldiers had threatened to unleash mayhem on the company and cripple its operations in the area should SPDC refuse to meet their demand.

Contacted on the development, the state police public relations officer, Mr. Ibokette Iniobong (DSP), confirmed the death, but said information at his disposal was still sketchy.

Also a staff of Brass local government area, who pleaded anonymity, confirmed the death of the militant leader, saying he died from gunshot injuries sustained in shoot out with security operatives.

Meanwhile, the current lull in activity at the arms collection centres in the state might be connected with the recent visit of the militant leaders to the presidency.

A source close to one of the militant leaders that met with President Umaru Yar’Adua at the Aso Rock villa said they were now convinced that Mr.President is committed to the amnesty programme.

“It is only proper that we give peace a chance and allow Mr. President to execute his developmental agenda for the Niger Delta.

“Most of the militants who were initially reluctant to renounce militancy can now come out to surrender their arms and it is our expectation that the collection centres will be full of activities in a couple of days,” he said.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.