…Says 78 fire cases recorded in March
By Evelyn Usman
Lagos—Director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasaq Fadipe, yesterday , warned Lagosians especially motorists, to desist from indiscriminate storage of the Premium Motor Spirit otherwise called petrol.
This warning followed the record 78 fire incidents recorded in the month alone, some of which were reportedly caused by petrol stored, to beat the recent scarcity of the product.
Giving this warning in a statement signed by the agency’s Public Affairs Officer, Mrs Bola Ajao, Fadipe noted that; “Since the advent of the artificial fuel scarcity, some people have devised various illegal means to store the product such as back of their vehicles, under the staircase at home or within the premise’s of their work places. All these are factors responsible for rise in the number of fire outbreaks which have led to loss of lives and properties, as witnessed recently in the State.”
Expressing worry over the spate of fire in the state, he disclosed that 355 emergency calls were effectively responded to between January and February this year, a development he said prompted the agency to extend its safety enlightenment campaign to all local government areas in the state as well as hospitals, schools and grassroots ,with a view to curbing the tide of incident managements associated with fire outbreaks.
To avoid more fire incidents, he warned members of the public to avoid using Jerry cans that had been used for petrol to store Kerosene or any other flammable liquid,even as he further admonished motorists, especially commercial bus drivers not to store petrol in their booths.