Breaking News
Translate

Why we withdrew eligibility suit against Jonathan — Junaid Mohammed

By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North

One of the individuals and groups that had filed a suit at the Federal High Court in Abuja seeking to stop the re-election of President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, withdrew the case, saying that it had another option to deal with the matter.

The plaintiffs-Prof. Tunde Samuel, Dr. Junaidu Mohammed, Mr. Rasak Adeogun and Yahaya Ezeemoo Ndu-had filed the suit praying with the court to declare that Jonathan was not qualified to stand election as president in 2015 having taken oath of office as president of Nigeria twice.

But on Wednesday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed struck out the suit following an application by the plaintiffs to discontinue the matter.

The court also ordered the plaintiffs to pay N50,000 to Jonathan whose lawyers had been made to file responses before the decision to withdraw the suit.

Responding to enquiry by our correspondent, one of the plaintiffs in the case, Dr. Junaid Mohammed, said that the case was withdrawn to enable them to sue President Jonathan in his personal capacity.

Mohammed said that although the case had been withdrawn from the Federal High Court Abuja, the plaintiffs were heading to another court to pursue the matter to a logical conclusion in the interest of justice.

Mohammed said: “We are heading for another court so that we can sue Jonathan in his personal capacity and stop him from breaching the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with impunity.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.