Breaking News
Translate

Boko Haram: No plan to prosecute Ihejirika, Sherrif – FG

By CALEB AYANSINA

ABUJA – FEDERAL Government, weekend, disclosed that it did not have any plan to prosecuting any Nigerian for now based on the various allegations made by Dr Stephen Davis, an Australian man.

The government also denied hiring Stephen Davis, saying that it was not clear yet on his alleged status, as acting as a Boko Haram negotiator on its behalf.

Recently, Stephen Davis who claimed to be acting as negotiator between the sect and the federal government for the safe release of the over 200 abducted girls from Government Girl Secondary School, Chilbok, in Borno state on 14 April 2014 was allegedly hired by the government.

Davis had insisted that former governor of Borno State, Ali Modu Sheriff and former Chief of Army Staff, General Onyeabo Azubuike Ihejirika are Boko Haram sponsors.

He also accused an unnamed senior official of the Central Bank of Nigeria as well as a man based in Cairo, Egypt whom he claimed operates as Boko Haram’s bagman as major players in the funding and continued existence of the deadly Islamist sect.

Dr Davis, who said he did not want to mention the name of the CBN official, as it may affect investigation by Nigeria’s security service, stated that his allegations were informed by discussions he had with several Boko Haram field commanders over a long period of time.

Reacting to this during a security briefing, on Friday, in Abuja, the Coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mike Omeri insisted that the Federal Government had not hired anybody to negotiate on its behalf with the Boko Haram sect.

“For now, the Federal Government of Nigeria have not appointed anyone to negotiate on its behalf with the Boko Haram sect, anytime it decides to do so, the Federal Government will make it known to the public”

“On the various allegations made by the alleged negotiator, the Federal Government is still investigating it, whatever should be done rightly will be done but there is no plan to probe any Nigerian for now,” he said.

On the declaration of Islamic Caliphate in Gwoza and Bama by the Boko Haram sect, Omeri insisted that Bama and Gwoza still remains part of Nigeria.

“Bama and Gwoza still remains part of Nigeria, the Federal Government will not cease any part of its territory to any group as troops are still on ground in Borno state and are capable of defending the state no matter the situation,” he said.

However, he said he could not confirm, if 21 local governments had been taken over by the Boko Haram sect as being alleged by some Nigerians.

On the abducted Chibok girls, Omeri said the release of the girls still remains paramount to the Federal Government as their abduction still remains a source of concern.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.