The Acting President ofthe Nigeria Football Federation, Chief Mike Umeh has condemned the purported “emerg-ency congress” organ-ised by those he called “Maigari’s supporters” saying, “the gathering is unconstitutional.”
In a chat with Sports Vanguard, Umeh said, “Maigari, as a former President of the NFF knows what the rules say about these things. He has no right to call a congress. What they have done is unconstitutional.”
He wondered why his predecessor was showing so much desperation, warning, “he should not do anything that would lead the name of the country into disrepute.”
Meanwhile, in a formal rejection of the so-called emergency congress, the NFF issued a release yesterday.
The release issued by the NFF Assistant Director, Communication, Asemola Olajire reads, “The Nigeria Football Federation has alerted Nigerians to a document being circulated by a group of persons who claimed that an emergency Congress of the NFF held in Abuja on Thursday, 31st July, 2014.
“The NFF Executive Committee rose from its meeting of Wednesday, 30th July to say that the emergency Congress had been postponed, and duly apologized to members of the Congress, while stating that the Congress would hold at a later date.
“There was no Congress at all, and we urge Nigerians to ignore the so –called decisions contained in the document. A properly –constituted NFF Congress would be convoked at a date to be made known to the public soon,” Chief Mike Umeh, NFF Acting President, said in Abuja.
He added: “Whoever is instigating these persons does not love Nigeria and should be advised to stop.”