FG had no hand in attacks on Buhari , Bauchi – Suleiman Abba

on   /   in News 5:10 pm   /   Comments

Against the backdrop of the recent twin bombings in Kaduna state and the lucky escape of former head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari as well as prominent Islamic Sheik, Dahiru Bauchi, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Suleiman Abba Monday declared that the Federal Government had no hand in the deadly attacks.

Speaking in his maiden meeting with all Assistant Inspector General’s Police (AIGs) and Commissioners of Police (CPs) at the Force Headquarters in Abuja, the IGP said findings from a high powered delegation of police officers sent to Kaduna by his predecessor found that the Federal Government had no hand in the bombings that targeted the two prominent Nigerians.

His words, “They went to Kaduna, conducted a very diligent investigation; a team that was made up not only of General Duty detectives, but also Forensic Experts, visited the scene; visited some of the victims in the hospital and even those in the mortuary.”

“They conducted interviews with victims and witnesses, including the highly respected General Muhammadu Buhari, those that were with him when the incident happened and did a lot of other things that maybe we need not mention all of them here,” he added.

“So far, the findings do not indicate that the Federal Government is involved in either of the two incidents.”

He noted that the military had in their custody one suspect who was arrested at the scene of the second bombing, adding that the said suspect was previously arrested twice by police at a station close to the incident.

Recall that forty-eight hours after the twin Kaduna Bomb blast former Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar deployed up a high powered team to investigate the terrorist acts.

The team of investigators, which worked in close collaboration with other security agencies, was headed by the Commissioner of Police in charge of Legal Department at Force CID, DCP Nwodibo Ekechukwu.

Other members of the team included DCP Chris Ezike of the Federal SARS, DCP Dan Mallam of the IGP’s Monitoring Unit and DCP Adeyemi Ogunjemilusi of the Interpol Unit.

A statement from Force Headquarters prior to the deployment of the detectives noted that the high-powered investigation team had the mandate to unearth the perpetrators of the bomb attacks in Kaduna in which thirty-nine (39) Nigerians unfortunately lost their lives while thirty-seven (37) others got injured just as the former Head of State, General Mohammadu Buhari and the respected Islamic cleric, Sheikh Dahiru Bauchi narrowly escaped unhurt.

On the meeting he summoned, the IGP said it was for him have, “an eye ball to eye ball, heart to heart discussion and we won’t discuss anything other than the problems before us”.

“We can’t pretend, we cannot look aside, there are problems, when I say problems I mean insecurity, problems of the safety of the people in this country and in particular in some parts of the country, Vis a Vis our responsibilities as police officers” .

Consequently, he said, “We want to discuss what we need to do to improve what we have met? All my predecessors have tried their very best, but that does not mean that we should say that there are no issues needing urgent solutions.”

Emphasizing that the days of division within the Police is over, Abba promised that intelligence led policing will be given more priority while attitudinal change to ensure proper work ethics will be instilled in all officers and men of the Force.

On Police preparedness for the upcoming Osun state Gubernatorial elections, IGP Abba gave reasons why officers on election duty were deployed well ahead of time saying “It was an open secret that there was recruitment of thugs, there were people being armed, allegations anyway, so with that I felt telling officers to report three days before election commenced was not proper, so I changed it and said everybody should report by last Saturday.”

“We will be there enough to make sure that the integrity of the whole election is maintained and that’s what we will do,” he promised.

Disclosing that he was made the Chairman of the 2015 election security planning committee in the past dispensation, Abba said his committee came out with a 130 page report on modalities to ensure a hitch free election noting that the Osun State election under him will not pose any problems.

    Print       Email