By Henry Umoru, Dapo Akinrefon and Caleb Ayansina
ABUJA — AHEAD his formal declaration for his re -election bid come 2015, President Goodluck Jonathan has pleaded with Nigerians, especially his pro- campaign groups to be patient with him as a decision which would be favourable to them will be taken soon, just as he declared that he will not let Nigerians down.
President Jonathan at a rally in Abuja tagged, ‘Return Jonathan 2015 Rally,’ organised by House to House Campaign Organisation for Democracy, urged Nigerians to unite against evil activities of the insurgents threatening the corporate existence of the country.
Represented at the rally by his Senior Special Assistant on Youths and Students’ Matters, Mr. Jude Imagwe, the President stressed that if unity existed, the country would witness massive growth and general development as that would make it maintain its leadership position in the African continent.
He appealed to all and sundry for little time when he would speak on his position regarding the 2015 presidential election.
He said: “Nigerians should be patient with me, I will not let the nation down.”
He assured that the Federal Government under his administration would provide a level playing field for all political parties to operate ahead of the 2015 general elections as obtained in the previous elections held in Edo, Ondo, Anambra, Ekiti and Osun states with the principle of “one man, one vote, one woman one vote and one youth one vote” being at the centre stage.
On the missing Chibok girls and the call by a section of the Northern elders that there would be no general elections without rescuing them, the President who warned against politicising the all important national concern and giving it an ethnic colouration, stressed that all hands were already on deck to ensure that the girls were rescued and brought home alive to their families.
Meanwhile, the National Coordinator of House to House Campaign Organisation, Ogidi Ben Bara, who publicly declared President Jonathan wanted for the race in accordance with the yearnings and aspirations of Nigerians, disclosed that the women wing of the campaign organisation had already raised N19.5m for his nomination form.
According to him, the amount would be deposited at the Wadata Plaza National Secretariat of the PDP to purchase the nomination form for President Jonathan, adding that he was even at liberty to declare his intention at the comfort zone of his bedroom without coming to the Eagle Square or organising any rally for that.
He said that it had become imperative for the President to declare his intention now because Nigerians had waited for too long and would no longer tolerate any further delay.
Also speaking, the National Woman Leader of the group, Chief Funmi Nnaji, who urged members to return to their states and place their people on red alert for the declaration of President Jonathan for the race, said, “Once “he declares, be ready to move from one house to another house, from friends to our opposition, from the husband to the wife until every individual joins the moving train to the Eagle Square for the formal inauguration on May 29, 2015.”
It will be recalled that the Political Adviser to the President, Prof. Rufai Ahmed Alkali had last week declared that he inherited 3,000 of such campaign organisations demanding that President Jonathan declare his ambition for the 2015 presidential race.
Meanwhile, about 3,000 supporters of President Goodluck Jonathan, weekend, stormed the streets of Abuja for a rally and asked the president to declare his intention to seek another tenure in office.
The rally, which was organised by former deputy governors of Nigeria, under the auspices of Mass Movement for Goodluck 2015, MMG, followed the inauguration of the group and investiture of its Board of Trustees (BoT) members.
Similarly, female members of the Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria, TAN, have handed an ultimatum to President Jonathan to contest the 2015 presidential election.
Speaking on behalf of MMG, National Coordinator of the movement, Kenneth Kalu said President Jonathan had performed well and deserved to be re-elected in 2015.