Plateau govt uncovers security threats, takes measures for safety

on   /   in News 11:03 pm   /   Comments

By Marie-Therese Nanlong

Jos — THE Plateau State Government, yesterday, alerted residents of the state over alleged threats which could lead to security breaches  in the state and called on the citizens to be vigilant and supportive  as it has put measures to ensure public safety, sanity and general well-being of the people.

Briefing journalists in Jos, the state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mrs Olivia Dazyam, said to check-mate the threat, government had empowered the task force set up to enforce the ban earlier imposed on street trading, operation of illegal motor parks and indiscriminate parking of vehicles along major streets in the Jos city centre.

Dazyam noted that the state had gone through series of security challenges and would not want to encounter such nightmares especially a repeat of the recent twin blasts which rocked Jos city.

She said: ”In the aftermath of the last bomb blasts in Jos and other security challenges, the Plateau State Government came up with measures aimed at ensuring safety and promoting peace and security within the Jos city centre.

”Since then, security chiefs have been monitoring closely the security situation in the state and as there have been threats of security breach, the strengthening of the task force to enforce the ban on illegal trading, hawking, illegal motor parks, indiscriminate parking of vehicles has become urgent and necessary.”

Dazyam further stressed that the task force would also enforce the ban on commercial motorcyclists in the city and urged everyone to appreciate the gravity of the security challenges and comply with directives just as she urged shop owners to relocate to alternative shops at Kwararafa and Kabong satellite markets.

She advised occupants of shops in the areas where the blasts affected to contact their respective landlords as plans were on ground to settle them in alternative shops as their former shops were unsafe due to the impact of the May 20, bomb blasts.

    Print       Email