President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday kept Nigeria guessing over whether or not he will seek re-election, saying the issue was not important at the present time.
“Whether Jonathan declares or not (his intention for re-relection) is not a key factor,” saying that fighting the current Islamist insurgency and social issues within the country before a vote in 2015 were more important to him.
His current tenure ends on May 29 next year.
He made the statement while responding to a question in a radio-television live media chat in Abuja, monitored in Lagos.
Jonathan, who was elected into office in 2011 for a four-year term, is predicted to try and seek re-election under the banner of his ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
But he has so far declined to make clear what he will do. He said that his government was “committed to doing its best” for the country.
Jonathan said that it was likely that only the PDP and the opposition coalition, All Progressives Congress, would be capable of fielding presidential candidates.
On the influx of foreigners living in the country without legal immigration status, Jonathan said that his government was handling the issue with caution, warning that Nigerians were some of the “worst offenders” in other countries.