Information on Jonathan visit to Chibok false, misleading – Omeri

on   /   in News 8:02 pm   /   Comments

Abuja -  Mr Mike Omeri, Coordinator, National Information Centre, has said that the information that President Goodluck Jonathan was going to visit Chibok, Borno, on Friday was false and misleading.

Omeri made the statement at a joint news conference in Abuja on Friday on the ongoing effort to rescue the abducted schoolgirls in Chibok.

The briefing was attended by officials of the Department of State Security Service and the Nigeria Police.

“The president is not going to Chibok, no information like that , it is totally false and misleading.

The president through the structures on ground in Borno State is being represented,” Omeri said.

He said that the possibility of the president visiting Chibok could not be ruled out and added that when the president was scheduled to go to the area would be communicated.

He said that troops were in the forest searching for the girls with support from other countries and appealed to the people not to politicise the campaign to bring back the girls.

Omeri said that no one should politicise the lives of the abducted girls and stressed that that such issues of national importance should not be reduced to politics.

“We appeal that this should not be politicised, since we started this national briefing no politician has accompanied us here because we are pursuing the Nigeria agenda.”

Omeri commended the House of Representatives for granting the request of the president for an extension of the state of emergency in the three states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.

Meanwhile, he said that the extradition of Aminu Ogwuche, the alleged mastermind of the Nyanya bomb attacks, arrested in The Sudan, was almost completed.

He also said that the security agencies had been put on a red alert for the arrest of  Rufai Abubarkar Tsiga, the alleged chief mastermind of the Nyanya motor park bombing. (NAN)

    Print       Email