Jonathan seeks dismissal of anti-confab suit

on   /   in News 9:08 am   /   Comments

By Ikechukwu Nnochiri

ABUJA — President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, urged the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court to dismiss the suit seeking to invalidate the outcome of the ongoing National Conference.

In a preliminary objection he entered against the suit, Jonathan, through his lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana, SAN, told the high court that the litigant, Dr. Tunji Abayomi, was bereft of the locus-standi to challenge the constitutionality of the Conference.

Besides, stressing that the Confab which is chaired by a former Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi, is in the overall best interest of the nation, Jonathan, maintained that the plaintiff, failed to disclose how his personal rights would be adversely affected by the National Conference.

He therefore contended that there was no reasonable cause of action in the suit, saying it should be dismissed as grossly lacking in merit and substance.

Meanwhile, the court was yesterday told that all the defendants in the matter have been duly served with the court processes, even as Justice Abdul Kafarati consolidated the preliminary objection and the substantive suit for hearing on May 8.

It will be recalled that the high court had on the last adjourned date, joined the chairman of the Conference, Kutigi, the Deputy Chairman, Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi and the Secretary, Dr (Mrs) Valerie Azinge, as defendants in the suit.

Previously listed as 1st to 4th defendants in the suit were President Jonathan, the Attorney General of the Federation, Senate President and Speaker of the House of Representatives.

    Print       Email