No Boko Haram attack in Lagos, says Lagos CP

on   /   in News 6:53 pm   /   Comments

Lagos – The  Commissioner of Police in Lagos State, Mr Umaru Manko, on Wednesday said there was  no truth in a report that Boko Haram had attacked some people in the state.

Manko made the announcement while briefing newsmen on the purported attack by the Islamic sect, stressing that Lagos was peaceful.

Lagos State CP,  Umar A. Manko

Lagos State CP, Umar A. Manko

Some people had been circulating Short Message Services (SMS), alleging that Boko Haram members had attacked some people on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway early on Wednesday.

The message reads:  “BREAKING NEWS!!!: If you are on the Lagos-Ibadan Xpress Road going towards Ibadan…Pls turn back. 18 suspected Boko Harams members With AK-47 Riffles are on the highway now displaying their skills.

“Nine policemen and 11 civilians had been confirmed dead just now by these gunmen while trying to stop them from the shooting…Pls Re-broadcast to save a life. May God Help us in Nigeria.

“Please let’s pray for Nigeria that GOD should intervene,’’ the SMS said.

Manko said that one way the police would check the spreading of such rumour was to always brief members of the public through the press.

He said that the police and other security agents in Lagos were on top of the security situation in the state, advising the public to go about their businesses. (NAN)

    Print       Email